Sexually transmitted diseases or sexually transmitted infections are of great concern to us and to many countries – be it developed, developing or underdeveloped – across the globe. STIs are any of the diseases which get transferred from one person to another by sexual contacts like oral, vaginal or anal sex. It can also be transferred by some types of foreplay which involves genital touching.
Before understanding the ways to prevent STI, it is important to understand how the STIs occur? Few of them have been discussed above, the other ways are by means of skin to skin contact, and some require contact with the body fluid like blood, saliva, semen or vaginal secretions. The main concern is when the STIs are transferred from infected mother to the child.
STIs can be caused by viruses (for example AIDs is caused by HIV virus), by bacteria (for example Chlamydia and gonorrhea) and others are generally caused by parasites. STIs like Chlamydia are generally known as silent infections because they show no symptoms in the infected person. So, it is very necessary that you use condoms to prevent the infections transmitted through sex acts. A regular visit to a doctor for checkups, especially for the viruses that shows no symptoms, is always recommended. On the other hands, use of condoms is considered to be the cheapest and easiest way to prevent any sexually transmitted disease.
The reasons for the STIs can be any of the following:
1) Unprotected sex with your partner or any person unknown to you
2) Unprotected sex with any partner, who earlier has unprotected sex with other person.
3) Unprotected sex in any other country.
4) Unprotected sex when your partner is on IV drugs
The best way to keep the STIs away is to avoid sex with unknown person at first. Secondly, use condom for sex with unknown person or a person who had or has an STI as it’s the best prevention against STI. If you have anal or vaginal sex without using condom, then you are surely at a risk of having an STI. Also take into account the following while using the condom.
- Always check the expiry date of the condom; if you are using an expired condom then you are very much prone to an STI.
- Be sure that you properly take out the condom from the packet.
- Follow the instruction mentioned on packet on how to wear the condom effectively.
- After you have ejaculated, properly hold the rim of the condom and take it out before the loss of erection.
- Make sure that the condom does not tear off during intercourse.
- Properly dispose off the condom.
One can also indulge into oral sex, mutual masturbation, massage using condoms or dental dams, to prevent the spread of the sexually transmitted diseases.